10 Ideas to Strengthen Reading Comprehension
1. Understand as a reader what you should be doing before, during and after reading. (see other blog posts on this topic)
2. Locate and define unknown words.
3. As you read take notes or write comments in the margins.
4. Ask questions to clarify understanding.
5. Fill in a graphic organizer with important information or design a supportive visual.
6. Read aloud or listen to book on tape.
7. Try to visualize what you are reading about.
8. Stop and think – don’t continue if you do not understand the material.
9. Constantly check for understanding.
10. Discuss the information with others.