Here are some tips are taken from, Student Success Secrets by Eric Jensen. In the book, he offers many strategies that help students to learn and be more attentive in studying. He suggests:
- Understand your own learning styles (multiple intelligences) and choose to study in the way that is best for you.
- Use proper lighting, which includes low to moderate levels of natural lighting.
- Allow the temperature to be between 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow the surroundings to be pleasant and enjoyable.
- Be sure to have plants close by as they help to purify the air and raise the levels of oxygen.
- Drink plenty of water and stay away from coffees, teas and other caffeinated drinks.
- Use aromas that heighten mental alertness. These include: lemon, peppermint and cinnamon
- Use proper study posture – do not study lying down on your bed! It is also best to get up and move around to get some oxygen to your brain.
- Be sure to take frequent breaks – this helps the brain to retain information and stay alert.