In this post we will be exploring the executive skill of “Organization (of materials).” The definition of organization is the ability to keep track of personal items. Some strategies for strengthening organization of materials are:
· Use of a planner – to write down homework and assignments
· Use of checklists – example – listing of what items need to be taken home to complete homework that night.
· Establish a study space (see earlier blog about what items should be at a study space).
· Set up an organizational system for school materials (color coded binders with dividers or accordion system) - careful with folders – must clean out regularly.
· Within the binders – include a 3-ring binder hole punch – so papers can immediately be placed into the correct section.
· Do a weekly check of backpack, locker and binders to make sure all is in the correct place.
· At night – prepare the next day’s materials - practice, practice, practice.
Have an organized day!
Kim Turse, Ed.M