Our students are working hard reading books in the classroom and outside of the classroom with the Accelerated Reader program. For some students, reading comprehension comes easy and for others a more structured approach helps them to navigate, understand and retain the details.
Below are some very basic questions students and parents can ask each other when working on a book, or any kind of reading. Often times these simple questions will lead to a discussion where more details of the story can come to light.
Thank you for all that you do and best wishes for great reading!
1. What was your reaction to the story? Why?
2. Who were the characters in this story? Which ones did you like and why?
3. What was the main problem in the story? Did the problem get resolved? If so, how was it resolved?
4. When and where does the story take place?
5. What did you enjoy most about the story? Why?
6. How does the story begin and end?
7. Was there anything that you found confusing about the story?